The latest title in the popular 'How Things Work' series will make the ordinary seem extraordinary. Featuring the beautifully detailed illustrations of James Gulliver Hancock, How Everything Workswill take a close-up look at the world around us to examine well-known, everyday environments and reveal how all the various objects and machines found there operate.
Full-page gatefolds showcase large, dense scenes while smaller flaps can be opened to uncover the secrets of the latest gizmos and gadgets. Explore a home, a building site, a factory, a shopping mall, an office and a busy street; find out how a car, a computer, a conveyor belt and mobile phone work, and much more!
- A History of Things: watch as a street changes through time
- Down on the Farm: from tractors to combine harvesters and wind turbines
- At the Construction Site: mix cement, dig underground, and then look upward to cranes and skyscrapers
- Staying in Touch: connect through mobile phones, wireless tech and satellite communications
- Getting Around - local: hit the road with cars, buses, bicycles, motorbikes and even electric vehicles
- Getting Around - long distance: jump aboard trains, planes and boats
- In the Home: the inner workings of washing machines, lightbulbs and electricity
- At the Office: computers, photocopiers, air con
- Entertainment: from rollercoasters to video games
- Shopping: scan barcodes and watch CCTV
- At the Factory: from assembly lines to automation, robots and fork-lift trucks
- At the hospital: uncover modern medicine
About Lonely Planet Kids:Lonely Planet Kids - an imprint of the world's leading travel authority Lonely Planet - published its first book in 2011. Over the past 45 years, Lonely Planet has grown a dedicated global community of travellers, many of whom are now sharing a passion for exploration with their children. Lonely Planet Kids educates and encourages young readers at home and in school to learn about the world with engaging books on culture, sociology, geography, nature, history, space and more. We want to inspire the next generation of global citizens and help kids and their parents to approach life in a way that makes every day an adventure. Come explore!