This is a story about tiny creatures that live in the darkness of the soil. When a tree cries out in pain, some unexpected heroes come to the rescue. Nema and her gang of young nematodes (tiny worms) embark on a dangerous journey underground. The Xenos, a group of wise but deadly bacteria, hitch a ride. The story of how they help the tree is full of action, life-or-death challenges and microscopic warfare. It is a story of cooperation and ancient partnership, about events happening all over the Earth, in the hidden worlds beneath our feet.
- A beautifully illustrated science-adventure story, created in collaboration with scientists
- Engages children in the invisible world of microbes
- "The Science Behind the Story" section allows for deeper exploration of the scientific concepts underpinning the story
- Teacher Notes available to support the use of this book in the classroom
- The Small Friends Books series combines cutting-edge scientific research, rich narrative and beautiful illustrations to tell stories that describe symbiotic partnerships between microbes and larger life forms.